Unfortunately there was one souvenir I hadn’t counted on bringing home… a parasite infection. I started feeling sick Monday morning, the morning we were heading to the airport to leave Ghana. I felt sick on the plane and was just hoping to make it home to my bed. I thought I just needed some rest and some good food to put myself right but by Thursday I knew something was really wrong. I went to the doctor and they diagnosed me and gave me medication. Little did I know the medication would make me feel worse. By Tuesday I honestly thought I was going to die. My friend told me “why don’t you go lie down”… I said “no, I’ll just stay here”…wrapped in a blanket shivering… not admitting that I was afraid I would go unconscious, no one would find me in time and I would die in bed by myself. I was sick for a good two weeks before I started feeling better. It was difficult explaining to people that Africa was great and that I had an amazing experience, when they could see how sick I was. It will be easier explaining what great place it was now that I’m not green. Just this week, I had to take another round of medication and am sick again not as bad as before. Hopefully this will be it. My illness has made me very appreciative of our medical system and my insurance. The children in Ghana that get sick as I have may not be able to get the right medication to make them better. In that way, I am very lucky.
No comments:
Post a Comment