We got up early this morning and walked down the street to buy more water. Water is definitely something that as Americans we tend to take for granted. Here you can’t just put your cup up to the refrigerator to get clean cold water, you have to buy it and it’s not cheap.
On our way to the village we had a bit of a blockage on the road. A local cattle herder had his cattle in the road. We of course had to get lots of pictures of the African cattle.
During our noon break from painting we walked to the village to get our suga’bread and Fanta. While we were sitting in the shade relaxing a couple of young boys in yellow school uniforms walked up with a soccer ball. Stacey joined in with them, passing the ball back and forth. More children soon gathered to watch the “obruni” (foreigner) playing futball with the boys. A small child, maybe 18-24 months old saw us and she started to cry. Her older sister picked her up and tried to bring her closer to us. The child screamed eyes wide open and buried her head in her sister’s shoulder. She was terrified of the white blond haired people. We were a little surprised at the response because so many westerners have been to the village to work on the school. All of us, being child lovers, were a bit sad that we’d upset her.
Tonight I am hoping we are done painting. Us “obrunis” didn’t fair to well painting outside in the mid-day sun. I don’t mind helping the community by painting. I hope our work is appreciated but I also hope we can spend the rest of our trip working with children and adults that could benefit from OT services. This painting stuff is exhausting. I definitely would have rather been working on setting up the library. I would have liked to see the boxes of books we sent filling up the little room. Maybe Erik will send us a picture.
Our dinner at a local Lebanese restaurant was amazingly delicious even if it was expensive.
No comments:
Post a Comment